SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Synchronizing SQL between two sites

sql2008
sql2008r2

We have two sites A and B connect via VPN. Both sites share the same domain something.local. I have database in site A where all users with site A can access and update. I need also to Synchronize the same DB with Site B, so users can also access this DB. The goal is allow users from site A & B to update and collaborate to same database. Database: MS SQL 2008 R2 OS: MS Windows Server 2012

Read up on Replication. Sounds like you need peer-to-peer transactional replication

Peer-to-Peer Transactional Replication

Well, maybe I am missing something here, but giving users on site B access to the DB doesn't mean you have to get a local copy of the DB and synch them.

I don't think you make a clear case for the need to synch. One copy of DB servers many sites, isn't that the norm?

The OP asked about Sync. Presumably they already know they need that. Perhaps Sites A and B are geographically distant and latency is an issue. We don't know (yet).

it depends....

Hi Foks,

Thanks for your replies.
Hi Hommer, I think you are correct if both sites are within same LAN or not geographically distance.
Thanks gbritton for sharing the article, I will read it for sure.

the sites are in two different continent and different IP scheme/Subnets but with same domain name, for example in site A I have server called SVRA.domain.local and in site B I have server called SVRB.domain.local. The two sites are connected via VPN and firewall is placed in Site B.

The Goal: database in SVRA must be synch with SVRB, whenever the users in site A or site B did any updates.

Hi Foks,

Thanks for your replies.
Hi Hommer, I think you are correct if both sites are within same LAN or not geographically distance.
Thanks gbritton for sharing the article, I will read it for sure.

the sites are in two different continent and different IP scheme/Subnets but with same domain name, for example in site A I have server called SVRA.domain.local and in site B I have server called SVRB.domain.local. The two sites are connected via VPN and firewall is placed in Site B.

The Goal: database in SVRA must be synch with SVRB, whenever the users in site A or site B did any updates.

I viewed this article as well, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337389.aspx
please advise if this one is also applicable.

Yes, it is