INSTEAD OF INSERT Triggers

Hello,

I am having a problem with Triggers using a view. When I use INSERT INTO to a table, the table will return zero record (suppose to return 4 records). I would appreciate if you could help me on this matter.
Here is the query.

USE MY_DB

GO
CREATE TABLE Levels (It nvarchar(20), Lev nvarchar(20))
GO

Create View Step1 AS
SELECT top 4 ITT1.Father AS It, '1' AS Lev
FROM OITM INNER JOIN ITT1 ON OITM.ItemCode = ITT1.Father
GO

CREATE TRIGGER Trig_INS on Step1
INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS
BEGIN
INSERT INTO [Levels]
SELECT It, Lev FROM inserted As MyTable
END
GO

select * from Step1
GO
select * from [Levels]
GO

The table "Levels" returns 0 record instead of 4 records.

Hi,
How do you perform the insert? You missed to show that code.

INSTEAD OF INSERT
AS
 BEGIN
 INSERT INTO [Levels]                           --- Here is the code
 SELECT It, Lev FROM inserted As MyTable
END
GO

I think dennisc meant the code which inserts into the [Step1] VIEW - i.e. that then causes taht trigger to fire.

If you think that this is it:

select * from Step1
GO

then that will only select data from the [Step1] VIEW, you need to INSERT INTO [Step1] in order to fire the trigger (and then you should have some new data in [Levels] :smile: )

If I use INSERT INTO [Step1] from the [Step1] view, still do not see how to add records to [Levels] table which has empty records. The [Step1] already has records and I need to use INSERT INTO so be able to add records from [Step1] to [Levels] table.

Sorry, still not understanding how you are expecting this to work.

Your INSERT trigger on [Step1]

INSTEAD OF INSERT

only "fires" when you INSERT a record into [Step1]

e.g.

INSERT INTO [Step1]
(
	[It], [Lev]
)
SELECT	N'ABC', N'XYZ'
--
SELECT *
FROM [Levels]

If you want data to be inserted into [Levels] when records are inserted into the underlying tables for the view [Step1] - i.e. inserted into OITM and ITT1 then this is not possible. (You would need to put a trigger on OITM and/or ITT1

Sorry if I am misunderstanding your requirement, perhaps you could clarify?

I am trying to update “Levels” table. Each time when the query is run (1- delete Levels table, 2-create Levels table ) , then “Levels” table get fresh data from Table1 and Table2 by using INSERT INTO (In my sample uses INTO). And I would like to use combination of INSERT INTO and view. Here is my sample.

if exists (select * from information_schema.tables where table_name = 'levels') drop table levels
go
create table levels (it nvarchar(20), lev nvarchar(20))
go
if object_id('step1', 'v') is not null drop view step1 go
create view step1 as select a,b,c from table1 go
select * into levels from step1 – 1
if object_id('step2', 'v') is not null drop view step2 go
create view step2 as select a,b,c from table2 go
select * into levels from step2 – 2

I hope this clarifies my question

Hi billj,
I hope I understanding what you are asking (correct me if I'm wrong), you want to re-populate data after you re-create table "levels". But looking at your code, it wont work, as you looking to insert to levels table which have 2 columns from a view that have 3. I would just assume you got a typo, if that is the case, then it will work.

But all those code, you do not require a insert of trigger, instead of trigger fires when you try to inset to a given object, so instead doing a simple insert, it will do the code you define. If you only want to re-populate the data after you re-create a table, you do not require a instead of trigger.

Hope this helps.

I wonder if the O/P wants:

Create [Levels] table
Create [Step1] view - use it to query data into [Levels]
Create [Step2] view - use it to query data into [Levels]

THEN create an Insert trigger on the view(s) so any NEW data can be inserted that way?

Sorry, I'm still having trouble understanding the requirement.

hmm, but he is dropping the view and re-creating them based on table1, and then performed a select into table levels from the newly created view. I'm confused as of why a instead of trigger is required given its a simple re-populate of data.

Maybe I misunderstand the question totally :smile:

Indeed. I think we just need some help to understand the requirement properly, and then we can help with the answer :smile: