Unable to send DB Mail on New Server

Hi experts,
We have a new Windows 2019 server and a SQL Server 2019 instance.
We use Outlook 365 hosted in the cloud.
This is the Account:
I have tried Windows Auth, Anonymous Auth and Basic. all give this error in the Database Mail logs:
The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2022-03-09T14:09:05). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Error in processing. The server response was: 5.7.3 STARTTLS is required to send mail [CH0PR03CA0246.namprd03.prod.outlook.com]).
)
Is this a TLS version issue?
Thanks for any tips.

I would remove that server name if I were you. if you want to continue being employed also.

so port 25. talk to your exchange Admin that port. Might be another port such as 587

I used my email addy only as a test. it fails regardless of which option i choose for Authentication.
"We use Outlook 365 hosted in the cloud." We don't have an Exchange server.
Other (older SQL Servers) use port 25 here. Thanks

is there a ip whitelist of servers can send email?

Checking the whitelist.... I tried port 587 and it also fails.

Other sql servers work with that mail server? check firewall stuff also

Normally you would send your SMTP email messages to an SMTP relay on your network. That relay then uses a connector to connect up to Outlook/Microsoft 365 and forwards the emails.

You need to check with your admin team to find out how they have set up the smtp relay server.

1 Like

Thanks, I'll reply back. Never faced this issue before. SOmeone else thinks we may need to disable TLS1.2 so it always picks up TLS 2.