SUM IF from column in different table

I'm sorry if this question is inappropriate for this forum. Please forgive me in advance.

I'm trying to create a Computed Column in SSMS in Table_1 called [GroupsABC]. This column will first look up the [Date] column from Table_1 and find it in Table_2; then SUM the column Table_2.[Hours] if Table_2.[Area] contains "GroupA", "GroupB" or "GroupC"

I'm very new to SQL and I have a poor understanding of syntax. Thank you, and sorry again if this is not the right place to ask this.

select t1.date, /*...*/ 
    (SELECT SUM(t2.[Hours]) FROM table_2 t2 WHERE t2.Date = t1.Date AND t2.[Area] IN ('GroupA', 'GroupB', 'GroupC'))
from table_1 t1

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I think I've still got the syntax wrong. I notice in some instances you place the columns in square brackets and others you don't; could this be an issue?

Thank you again for your help

I don't see "53" in my query, so I don't know why you're getting an error related to that in your query.

Fair enough. Thanks again for your help

Computed columns can only access data in the same row unless you use a user defined function (though that is typically frowned upon because that column could not be persisted).

The best way to do this is in a view (probably an indexed view).

Thank you for your response and suggestion - I'll begin doing research into Indexed Views

1 Like