Ssrs norows message works in visual studio but not on the test report server

In a new ssrs 2008 report, I have 3 tablixes embedded within a main tablix. Each embedded tablix will display a no rows message when the filter on the tablix does not find any rows selected for the particular tablix.

The main tablix is setup to display a no rows message if all 3 embedded tablixes contain no data. The logic I am using in the main tablix works correctly when I run the new ssrs in visual studio on my workstation. However when I load the new ssrs report to a test report server the main tablix does not display its no rows error message. Instead each of the 3 individual embedded display there own no rows error message.

The main tablix filter says
IIf((reportcatory <> "EAP") and (reportcategrory <> "LAP") and (reportcategrory <> "DYT"))
and datatype = text, the logic is set to =, and the expression value is set to "=true".

Thus can you tell me what I can do so solve the problem?

Longshot: Is there a different (default) behaviour of NULLs between the two servers?

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
SELECT CASE WHEN 1 <> NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END	-- Result = 0

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF
SELECT CASE WHEN 1 <> NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END	-- Result = 1

I'm thinking that maybe one of the columns contains NULLs and the <> test is FALSE (rather than TRUE as expected)

I'm not familiar with tablix filters, but if this syntax is valid you could try this to see if it fxies the problem:

IIf(
    ((reportcategrory <> "EAP") and (reportcategrory <> "LAP") and (reportcategrory <> "DYT"))
    OR reportcategrory IS NULL)

This did not work. do you have any other suggestions.