SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Sql Trigger Assistance for Newbie

HI There..

This is what i am trying to do:
I have a sales opportunity (or deal) and when i insert or change the stage of this opportunity, this table has multiple columns however i only want the stage to be inserted into another table or field. The other field is called OppsStage and the columns here are:

Column 1 - client_id
Column 2 - OppStage
Column 3 - Type_id

I am new at these triggers, i have only done one that is of a similar concept. (creates a new quote number when a new opportunity is created) but now i need assistance on how to achieve the above with the stages..

I dont know if i must use something like the below:

Declare @Stage varchar (50)

BEGIN
SET ROWCOUNT 0
SET NOCOUNT ON

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1
FROM Opp_View
WHERE Stage = @Stage)
BEGIN
SET @Stage = 'Not Started';
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SET @Stage = 'Communication';
END

if @Stage = 'not started'
INSERT INTO O_OppStage(Client_id,Contact_Number,O_OppStage)
SELECT inserted.Opp_Id, 0, @Stage
FROM inserted inner join Opp_View B on inserted.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id
WHERE inserted.Opp_Type = 0
and @Stage = 'Not Started'
else if @Stage = 'Initial communication'
SELECT inserted.Opp_Id, 0, @Stage
FROM inserted inner join Opp_View B on inserted.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id
WHERE inserted.Opp_Type = 0
and @Stage = 'Initial communication'

end

end

or if i must do this approach, with if stage = 'not started' then insert into ..

The goal is to achieve the following:

When the stage is inserted into a new row in the opportunities table, that stage is also inserted into the other table.

So like a mirror..

so if stage = stage 1 in the opportunities table then stage in table O_OppStage also needs to be stage 1

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

why do they need to be the same? This is defeating the purpose of RI. Now you have to change it in 2 places. There are a couple of ways to handle this. The obvious would be to have the application that inserts/updates the first table to do the same to the second.

I don't understand your trigger. It looks like it's doing the same thing regardless of what @Stage is. is this just an insert trigger to put records into second table for history? What about updates?

HI Mike

This is an insert and update trigger. So when Stage changes in one table, it must replicate and insert or update the second table.

So if i click stage 1 in table one, table two must automatically update to the stage i picked in table 1.

Some key details missing, but this should at least get you started. I've done only the INSERT trigger so far, since I don't understand well enough to try the UPDATE part yet.

CREATE TRIGGER Oppportunies__TR_INSERT
ON dbo.Opportunities
AFTER INSERT
AS
SET NOCOUNT ON;

SELECT i.Opp_Id, 0, i.OppStage
FROM inserted i
inner join Opp_View B on i.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id
WHERE i.Opp_Type = 0 AND i.OppStage IN ('Initial communication', 'Not started')
GO

HI Scott - Thank you for the reply.

Here is my Trigger code:

alter TRIGGER [dbo].[TRIGGER_STAGE_INSERT]
  ON [dbo].[AMGR_Opportunity_Tbl]
  after insert, update
AS
BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON;
  DECLARE @STAGE VARCHAR (50)

set @STAGE = (SELECT b.Stage from INSERTED i inner join Opp_View B on i.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id)

if @STAGE IN ('not started','Initial comm','Needs assessment','Proposal submission','closing phase','Commitment to buy','sale won')
  BEGIN
    INSERT INTO O_Stage
      (Client_id,Contact_Number,O_Stage)
      SELECT i.Opp_id, 0, b.Stage FROM INSERTED i
      inner join opp_view B on i.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id
       where i.Opp_Type = '0' and i.Opp_Id = b.Opp_Id
       End

End
GO

The results are as follows:

1. When i insert an opportunity, both fields have the same value. Which is good
    However..
    I find that if i try insert another opportunity, for the same entry - it doesnt change the valye in table 2 for example:
    if i do a select * from O_stage - it only shows the first inserted record:
    Client_Id | O_Stage
    181004250828540240011O | Initial Comm

I need it to check if the record exists and if so Update the Stage, however if it doesnt exist (new Entry) it must insert.. The logic seems simple by doing a If Exists then update otherwise insert however i do not know how to write the syntax..

Would it just be:

If exists ( select Opp_id from inserted when stage = @stage)
update O_stage set O_stage = @stage

Trying to explain as much as i can

i Basically need to check to see if a value already exists and if it does, then delete old value and insert new value

Try MERGE