SQL Server not connecting SQL 2012

Our SQL server is not connecting. I am new to all of this and trying to help out my coworker. What can we do or what could be making it not connect?

There are a number of reasons why the connection fails. Look at the two links below - they go through step by step how to diagnose and fix the problem.

MSDN Blog
Technet Article

I just spoke with my boss. He was saying last night there were a lot of notifications alerts that were piling up last night. so he started deleting logs out. When he went to restart SQL it didn't restart. He finally got the SQL restarted, but the logs aren't there and it is not connecting when we try to open it and it is also not connecting to Dynamics CRM.

What were the error messages? Were they from SQL Server, or from your application layer? Are you able to connect to SQL Server using Management Studio? If you are able to look up the error logs - it is in object explorer under under the ServerName -> Management -> SQL Server Logs node.

If you are not able to connect using SQL Sever Management Studio, look up the error log file location. Usually it is in the the installation folder where you installed SQL Server. For example, on my dev machine running SQL 2008 R2, it is in this folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log.

Regardless, assuming SQL Server is running, the steps to diagnose connection problems are in the two articles that I posted the links to in my previous post.

I am not able to connect to the SQL Server Mangement Studio. This is the error I am getting.

Error is saying cannot access server (provider: named Pipes Provider, error: 40) MicrosfotSQL Server Error 2)