Sql server 2016 storing foreign language data

In a sql server 2016 database, I want to store data in one column for the following languages: Burmese, Arabic, Nepali, Spanish, Karen, and potentially English. I will declare the field nvarchar(max) so the foreign languages can be saved. The intent of the field is to store letters written to different customers. in the one field.
I would like to know the following for my requirements:

1. Is storing the information in a nvarchar(max) the best, should I use a blob, or some other data type?
  2. Will the collation sequence at some level like the database, server level need to be changed? If so, what needs to change and can you show me how I would accomplish the change?
  3. Do I need to change some 'fonts' in the database or server level? I am asking that question since 'fonts' need to change when accessing some of the languages in Word 2016. If the fonts need to change, would you show me how to change the fonts?
  4. Is there anything else I would need to do to store any of the foreign languages that I listed above? If so, what would I need to change?

SQL has nothing to do with Word fonts.

What should the collation sequence value be for each of the following languages:

1. Burmese

2. , Arabi

3. Nepali

4, Spanish

1. Karen

6.English

Can you have more than 1 collation sequence on database, and/or on the server? if so, can you show me how

how to setup the multiple collations that can be setup?

NVarchar(Max) is the correct data type for storing text that can span the full unicode range.

Collation matters in terms of deciding whether two pieces of text are equivalent, as well as in terms of things like comparisons. If you need to change it really depends upon how you expect things to behave under specific circumstances. It can be over-ridden on a given column, or indeed on a specific comparison is needed. It can't be changed at server level without a complete re-install, so I'd avoid making that a requirement if possible.

The font makes no difference to storing the text, though whatever system you are using to view the data later on (including SMSS) may need to be configured to use a font with the appropriate Unicode character support.

1 Like

read this thoroughly

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/collations/collation-and-unicode-support?view=sql-server-2017