SQL Server 2016 and AlwaysOn

When using Always On database, does backing up that database ( A full backup) interfere with Always On in any way? Is it good practice to backup your Always On databases periodically?

No, backups don't interfere with Always ON.
In fact, they help you keep the log file size in control.
You should definitely having a strong backup and restore plan in place.
For the backup schedule it depends on your RPO and RTO.

1 Like

A full db backup does not effect the log size at all; only a log backup effects the log size. But, yes, you should definitely still back up your dbs.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. A Full or TLOG backup does not
cause a lock on the db correct? I'm referring to the Native SQL built in backups.

A backup doesn't typically block any of your normal actions against the db. A backup does take certain internal locks that, for example, prevent two backups of the db from running at the same time.

@ScottPletcher and @ahmeds08 I respect your knowledge a lot so I have another Always On related question if you don't mind.
For my Always On dbs (they show synched).... I make FUll, Diff and LOG backups, but they don't reflect the log being backed up.
Meaning my script which returns last backup dates and types doesn't return anything for LOG. Other full dbs that are not configured in Always On DO reflect a Log backup.
Is this just normal for Always On databases? Thanks

Make sure the dbs are not in SIMPLE mode / recovery model. You cannot do log backups if dbs are in SIMPLE mode.

They are n FULL mode. I'm going to start another thread, not too familiar with backing up an always on db....

Check the backup preference setting for the AG - and let us know what utility you are using to perform your log backups.

If you are using any utility that recognizes the backup preference options, then your backups would be performed on the secondary if that option is defined.