SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition 64Bit, Memory management

Hello guys
Coming from Oracle background, I am curious to know about the memory management area of SQL server. We will discard Oracle EBS soon and go with a lightweight .Net based suite that will be using SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition.
The proposed hardware has 2x4 Core Xeon processors and 42GB memory (VMWare) which will eventually connct 85-100 users concurrently to the database doing transactions.
Now, to structure the maximum memory pool for the database to insure a lag free experience to the end users, what kind of tweaks are recommended or implemented as standards?

Regards,

To start with, you just need to make sure that Windows has enough memory to run efficiently. I would be inclined to start by giving Windows 4GB so if SQL Server is the only thing on the server I suspect 38GB would be a good place to start:

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
GO
RECONFIGURE;
GO
EXEC sp_configure 'max server memory', 38912;
GO
RECONFIGURE;
GO

If Analysis Services etc are running as well you will need to adjust accordingly.

@Ifor

Thank you! Can you please point me towards some reliable documentations for SQL server that precisely discusses about the memory management part. I know, a google search would bring me to 100s of documents, however I would like to refer few that are identified as valid, dependable.

Thanks once again for the reply,

regards,

I am not really the person to ask about this as I have never had problems with memory as long as enough has been allocated to Windows. If you do come across problems, something like the following should be a good place to start: