SET LANGUAGE failed because 'English' is not an official language name or a language alias on this SQL Server

I'm trying to migrate a DB from SQL 2005 to SQL 2014 Standard. Vendor provided an application that migrates the DB between servers. I'm able to connect to the source but getting this error when connecting to the target

SET LANGUAGE failed because 'English' is not an official language name or a language alias on this SQL Server

Instance runs on Server 2012 R2.

I made sure the English language is set properly in SQL server properties and made sure my Local Settings are set to English

For testing I installed the same SQL version on Win 10 box and able to connect with no problems

I googled for solution for a long time and did not find anything that applies to my situation

would appreciate any help

Thanks

Peter

SET LANGUAGE British
or
SET LANGUAGE US_English

although I would expect

SET LANGUAGE English

to have the same effect as US_English

maybe check this:

SELECT	name, alias
FROM	sys.syslanguages
ORDER BY name

We can get the list of all sported languages in sql server try the given script:
http://www.exacthelp.com/2013/09/set-language-failed-because-is-not.html

what fixed it was to have the migration tool connect on a dynamic TCP port instead of 1433

Thanks!

Sounds very unlikely that that was what fixed it, but if the problem has gone away then that's good :slight_smile: