Separate window query from SSMS

Hello,

I am sure there is a setting to have an option to separate the query window from SSMS 2008 (Not to split the window but separate it) so it can be independence itself from SSMS (click and drag a specific window query out from SSMS)

This will make an easier update or comparison as I am using two monitors. For example, I would have one window on first monitor and other windows on the other windows with SSMS. Anyone know where I can set this option up?

Thanks guys

How about bring up a second SSMS session?

Tools -> Options -> Query Results -> SQL Server -> Results to Grid and check the "Display results in a separate tab" check box. Similar check box for "results to text" is available as well.

In SSMS, you can right click on the tab of a tabbed window and select "New Vertical Tab Group" to move that window so it displays side by side with the other windows. Instead of maximizing the SSMS application, you can drag it to span both your monitors, so the tab groups will show in two monitors.

Hi James, I did it but when I have couple query windows and tried to click one them then drag them out, I was not able to do that.

I can do New Vertical Tab Group but what I am trying to do is to click and drag a specific tab or session out from my current SSMS so I can move the session to other side of my monitor.

I think you are thinking of what they call "single document interface (SDI)" vs "multiple document interface (MDI)". SSMS is a MDI application, so you cannot drag a window out of the application.

If I understood you correctly, you can achieve the same result - i.e., being able to view two windows side by side making use of both your monitors - using what I described above.

That is correct. That's what I am trying to do.

I can. If I click and hold the left mouse button on the tab header, it allows me to pull that tab onto a separate screen so that I have SSMS (and the remaining MDI tabs) on one monitor and the single query window on another.

Hi stephen, maybe not in SSMS 2008 but able in SSMS 2012 or higher? What version is your SSMS?

This doesn't work with SSMS 2008. Since SSMS is essentially free, the OP would benefit from downloading and using the newer version. I understand those things are often out of the users control so it may not be an option.

I don't have an installation at the moment to test this, but if I recall correctly, that was a SQL 2014 feature (although I might be wrong it could have been included in SQL 2012).

As @James suggested, you could download SQL 2014 SSMS - which can be used to connect to SQL 2008 if you have the ability to install SSMS. SSMS 2014 can exist side by side with other versions of SSMS.

Thanks guys!

FWIW (and probably not much), I am using SSMS 2012.