Seeking SQL Gurus: Error Uniting Large Tables! Need Urgent Help!

Hello SQL Experts,

I am currently facing an issue while merging multiple files in my database, and I could really use your expertise to overcome this challenge. The error message I am encountering is as follows:

"Could not allocate a new page for database 'KRISHNA_ANALYTICS_6' due to insufficient disk space in filegroup 'PRIMARY'. To resolve this, I need to create the necessary space by either dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup."

My database contains a total of around 14 million rows, and this error is occurring due to the large size of the tables I am trying to merge. I understand that managing such a massive dataset can be complex, but I'm hoping that with your guidance, we can find a solution together.

Please help me in resolving this issue, and if any further information is required, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

The message is quite clear - you need more disk space to accomplish the task. Or - you need more space available in the existing database files.

Either add more disk space - or purge data from existing tables.

If your tables are not using page compression, you can look at enabling page compression. If the table/indexes qualify that could allow enough space in the existing database files to perform the task.

1 Like

It could be the disk space on the computer, or it might be that the file group has reached the max size it is configured for. There are lot of resources and guidance on the web. For example, this page.

If this is a production server, try it out on a test server first, and when you implement it in production, plan for downtime, even though there may be none.

It is advisable to plan for the required space and expand the file group size in advance instead of letting auto growth setting manage the expansion.

1 Like