Running SQL-based program as Windows administrator

I am using a SQL server based commercial software program and have been told by the developer that I must run the software while logged in and working under a Windows administrator-level user ID. Apparently it is not enough to right-click and choose "run as administrator" because the SQL server agent process cannot be activated manually in this way even though the overlying program can.

I am super uncomfortable with this idea. I do all my various types of work in a limited-privilege Windows user account except when absolutely necessary.

I know enough to be wary of this but not enough about SQL server to discuss sensibly with the developer why or if this is necessary or if it is a real security issue. Can anyone more knowledgeable please throw in their two cents here?

Many thanks.

I guess I would need more information. I don't know what the software is doing, but you definitely do NOT need Windows Admin rights to access sql. If it is using the SQL Agent account, then the service account that is starting the SQL Agent Service will need the appropriate permissions (i.e. file system access (maybe), permissions to file shares, bulk admin, etc...). "Back in the day", that was the standard answer since Windows Admin gave you full access to SQL Server, but that was changed with SQL 2000 (maybe even SQL7, I don't remember that far back :slight_smile: )

Thank you so much for answering me. I didn't see any answers at first and then forgot to check back.

I don't really want to call the program out by name because once I say a name, it's on the internet forever. However, it's a listing and inventory management software typically used by e-commerce sellers.

I'm going to try to get on the phone with them and go over it. Their written documentation specifically says that you don't have to run as admin.

However, the gentleman I had on chat was adamant, and partially blaming my non-admin Windows account for some software speed issues. I later tried running it from an admin account and the issues were still the same, so I think that at least is not correct.

I sure appreciate you trying to help me.

that is complete garbage. You can run some queries to see what is happening in the db. Are they using Stored Procs or an ORM like entity-framework? I've seen some really crappy queries come out of the latter. Scan through some of the DMVs to see if you can find the real hold-up. As far as not being Windows Admin, that's seems to be an excuse to cover code issues