Replacement for Microsoft Assessment and Planning toolkit

hi experts,
For a long while I have used MAPs to collect an inventory of my sql Servers. The latest version stops at SQL 2019. It does recognize 2022 as a SQL Server but it doesn't populate the Version column - it is blank.
What are you using to scan your network for SQL Servers? Thanks

There are a number of techniques listed here:

When you say "inventory", are you simply trying to find all instances of SQL Server installed on your domain/network? If yes, then that StackOverflow should cover that for you. Lately I've been using PowerShell to check the services installed on a Windows box, there's an example in that link.

Generally that kind of thing really needs to be managed by the domain administrators. SCOM or SCCM or whatever it's called it typically the go-to for that. If folks are installing SQL instances and not letting you or the admins know, well, it's on them if something goes wrong.

If you need additional inventory, like databases, objects, etc., you can use dbatools.io to get scripts of all SQL Server objects, settings, etc., and can use it as a basis for migrating.

1 Like

Thanks @robert_volk . By inventory I mean version, edition, patch level and db names MAPs does that beautifully in excel and pie charts but returns blank version if it is 2022. ALso counts nbr of RS, IS and AS installations
I can live with that. I don't know PS.

As long as you get the machine and instance names from MAP, or whatever method, you can use that to connect via sqlcmd, Powershell or dbatools, and run whatever SQL you need to get that info. I believe the cmdlets can output to CSV for easy import into Excel.

1 Like