Questions about SSRS

I am new to SSRS. I have gone through some tutorials in the online Microsoft "docs" pages and I have seen how to create a report. Now, I am looking at a tutorial (on a different web site) with eager anticipation to start making programmatically generated reports of my own. This tutorial has these two first steps:

Step 1: Create and deploy the report.

Step 2: Add a web reference to the web services exposed by Reporting Services 2005, i.e., ReportExecution2005 and ReportService2005.

So, I know how to create a report (by hand), but, how do I deploy the report?

And how exactly do I add a web reference to the web service exposed by Reporting Services?

This link describes how to create a "report definition file". So I think that how this must be done is to first have a definition file. This definition file (I assume) works like a template that data can be fed into dynamically. Is this right?

And then, I guess, the loaded definition file can be used to generate a report. Is this correct?

In my SQL Server Management Studio "v17.9" About window, here are the listed versions:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 14.0.17285.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 14.0.1016.283
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.10586.0
Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.10586.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
Operating System 6.3.10586

what "ide"/tool are you using to build your reports?

Along with SQL Server management studio, you need to install SQL Server Reporting services.
You will develop the reports (rdl) files in the data tools IDE and will then deploy it to the report server,which will have a URL to access the deployed reports.

After you have installed SQL Server with Reporting Services, install the version of SQL Server Data Tools that goes with your Visual Studio version (do internet search for this.) This gives you the ability to create report projects.

The web service URL is available in the SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration Manager. Right click your solution name after you create one and click properties. Copy and paste the web service URL into the TargetServerURL property. Set the TargetReportFolder (folder on SSRS where you want to publish.) Set the TargetServerVersion (probably SQL Server 2008 R2 or later).

After you create a report, you can right click it in Solution Explorer and click Run, which will deploy the report and display it in your browser.