Query performance date range

Use case:
We are a company that ships a support ticketing system.
Our customers wants to make the progression of their ticket's statuses over time more visible, in other words: They want to know how many tickets are open on each date, how many tickets were resolved by the person (ticketee) who sent in the ticket (self resolved), and how many tickets were resolved by one their own employees (expert resolved).
All of our tickets have a risk level (high, medium, low). When sending in a ticket, the customer has to select how business critical the issue is, which we then translate to said risk level. We want to filter the data on this risk level.

Example of data inside the Tickets table:

TicketeeId RiskLevel ResolvedDate ResolvedBy
13b12472-d43c-417a-98e8-5ab2ae2e569a 2 NULL NULL
f9705f3d-f682-4ba8-bddc-000a526155f3 1 2024-01-18 NULL
3c4f0313-f640-43c6-bca7-000bb47633b6 2 2024-02-11 13b12472-d43c-417a-98e8-5ab2ae2e569a
1fa97b25-b88c-4e1f-b780-0016d45fc457 1 2024-02-13 NULL

When ResolvedDate is NULL the ticket is still open.
When ResolvedDate is not NULL, the ticket is resolved.
When ResolvedDate is filled and ResolvedBy is NULL, the ticket was resolved by the ticketee (self resolved)
When ResolvedDate is filled and ResolvedBy is not NULL, the ticket was resolved by the employee with the corresponding id.

The query I built returns the desired result but its very slow on large date ranges.
Current query:

DECLARE @OrganizationId UNIQUEIDENTIFIER = '53843114-a53a-43c1-933c-d5f1eb5163cf';
DECLARE @BeginDate DATETIME2(3) = '2024-02-05 00:00:00'
DECLARE @EndDate DATETIME2(3) = '2024-02-11 23:59:59'
DECLARE @RiskLevel INT = 3; -- High risk

CREATE TABLE #TempTable
(
    Date DATETIME2(3) Primary Key,
    TotalTickets INT,
    TotalOpen INT,
    TotalSelfResolved INT,
    TotalExpertResolved INT
)

DECLARE @CurrentDate DATETIME2(3) = @EndDate;

WHILE (@CurrentDate >= @BeginDate)
    BEGIN
    IF (@CurrentDate > GETDATE())
        -- If date is in the future
        INSERT
        INTO #TempTable
            (Date,
            TotalTickets,
            TotalOpen,
            TotalSelfResolved,
            TotalExpertResolved)

SELECT @CurrentDate, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL
    ELSE
        INSERT
        INTO #TempTable
            (Date,
            TotalTickets,
            TotalOpen,
            TotalSelfResolved,
            TotalExpertResolved)

SELECT @CurrentDate,
            SUM(TotalTickets),
            SUM(OpenTickets),
            SUM(SelfResolved),
            SUM(ExpertResolved)
        FROM (
        SELECT COUNT(*) TotalTickets,
                SUM(CASE WHEN ResolvedDate IS NULL OR ResolvedDate > @CurrentDate THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) OpenTickets,
                SUM(CASE WHEN ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND ResolvedDate < @CurrentDate AND ResolvedBy IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) SelfResolved,
                SUM(CASE WHEN ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND ResolvedDate < @CurrentDate AND ResolvedBy IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) ExpertResolved
            FROM Tickets t
                INNER JOIN Ticketees ti ON t.TicketeeId = ti.Id
                INNER JOIN TicketeeOrganizations tio ON tio.TicketeeId = ti.Id AND tio.OrganizationId = @OrganizationId -- Only select tickets for a specific organization
            WHERE t.RiskLevel = @RiskLevel AND t.Date < @CurrentDate
        ) AS subselect

SET @CurrentDate = DATEADD(DAY, -1, @CurrentDate);
    END;

SELECT *
FROM #TempTable;

The resulting data set looks like this:

Date TotalTickets TotalOpen TotalSelfResolved TotalExpertResolved
2024-02-05 4885 2687 1035 1163
2024-02-06 4902 2616 1067 1219
2024-02-07 4935 2543 1100 1292
2024-02-08 4962 2443 1135 1384
2024-02-09 4989 2356 1169 1464
2024-02-10 5010 2263 1214 1533
2024-02-11 5039 2183 1242 1614

We display this data in a nice line chart

I need help to rewrite the query so it is better performing on larger date ranges.

For the specific query you've shown, I don't see how the TotalTickets is coming out different for each date, since nothing in the query specifies a condition for any t.date.

You're right, I forgot to add that. It is in the 'WHERE' clause now.

I'd suggest doing it all in one query rather than multiple queries.

CREATE TABLE #Dates (
    Date datetime2(3) Primary Key
    )

WHILE (@CurrentDate >= @BeginDate)
BEGIN
    INSERT 
    INTO #Dates
    SELECT @CurrentDate
    SET @CurrentDate = DATEADD(DAY, -1, @CurrentDate);
END /*WHILE*/

SELECT 
    d.Date,
    COUNT(*) TotalTickets,
    SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NULL OR t.ResolvedDate > d.Date THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) OpenTickets,
    SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) SelfResolved,
    SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) ExpertResolved  
FROM Tickets t
INNER JOIN #Dates d ON t.Date < d.Date
    INNER JOIN TicketeeOrganizations tio ON tio.TicketeeId = t.TicketeeId AND 
        tio.OrganizationId = @OrganizationId -- Only select tickets for a specific organization
WHERE t.RiskLevel = @RiskLevel 
GROUP BY d.Date
ORDER BY d.Date
1 Like

Thanks Scott, that's a great step in the right direction. This looks like it is about 5 times faster than my original query. Now I just need to figure out a way to return NULL values for dates in the future and in the past (past meaning: before our system was rolled out for the client).

Cool, glad it helped.

You could try changing the "ELSE 0" to "ELSE NULL" in the last two SUMs, like you have in the first one:

SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) SelfResolved,
SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) ExpertResolved

Thanks for your recommendation and help so far, Scott.

I have solved it by left joining your query to the #Dates table. See below.
Despite my limited SQL knowledge, I am satisfied with how the query turned out right now. But feel free to point out any further recommendations to improve performance. :slight_smile:

SELECT d.Date, TotalTickets, OpenTickets, SelfResolved, ExpertResolved
LEFT JOIN (
    SELECT 
        d.Date,
        COUNT(*) TotalTickets,
        SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NULL OR t.ResolvedDate > d.Date THEN 1 ELSE NULL END) OpenTickets,
        SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) SelfResolved,
        SUM(CASE WHEN t.ResolvedDate IS NOT NULL AND t.ResolvedDate < d.Date AND ResolvedBy IS NOT NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END) ExpertResolved  
    FROM Tickets t
    INNER JOIN #Dates d ON t.Date <= d.Date AND d.Date <= GETDATE()
        INNER JOIN TicketeeOrganizations tio ON tio.TicketeeId = t.TicketeeId AND 
            tio.OrganizationId = @OrganizationId -- Only select tickets for a specific organization
    WHERE t.RiskLevel = @RiskLevel 
    GROUP BY d.Date) results ON d.Date = results.Date
ORDER BY d.Date

Ah, right, I should of thought of that.

Any other tuning would likely require looking at indexes on the tables, particularly on the Tickets table, and you probably don't want to get into that.

1 Like

Instead of building a #dates table you could look at using a calendar table, which could also be useful for other queries, or a date range TVF.