Problem with backing up a database

I have been regularly backing up my database through the Task menu on SQLServer. This morning I backed it up but got the following message:

Backup failed for Server 'DESKTOP-H7RL6S9\SQLEXPRESS'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The media loaded on "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup\D__DATA FILES 092015_DVD_LIST.MDF.bak" is formatted to support 2 media families, but 1 media families are expected according to the backup device specification. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

I have no idea what it means, and why have I been getting backups right along and now this happens.

darby

can you provide the backup statement? this may help

Here is the sequence of events, I click on the database (Backup-1), select Task and Back up(Backup-2). When the Back Up screen comes up I select the Drive I want to back up to and press OK(Backup-3). Then I get the error(Backup-4).

Hi

As usual

In Software .. it could be a million things and you have to narrow it down

1. Try backing it up to a different drive

2. Place the backup file in different place for safety
    and try to backup again

3. Sometimes its a settings issue

Hope this helps

But google searching will give a lot of articles and videos
But
P.I.T.A## to figure out which one helps you

Try removing that file and using a new file for the backup. In fact, it would be better if you backed up to a dated file each time. A better option would be to create a powershell script and schedule it in windows task manager - that way you can schedule daily backups and make sure you have several days/weeks/months of backups available.

I normally do use a dated filename. Just didn't change it when I did the screen saves for this thread. Plus I changed to a new directory so there is no file in that directory. When the new directory didn't work, I went back to the original directory and it still didn't work. I keep getting the same "Backup failed for Server 'DESKTOP-H7RL6S9\SQLEXPRESS'.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: " I recently had a major systems crash and cleaned and reset my computer to factory settings fortunately my backup was on an external drive and I could recover it but haven't been able to create a new backup file since.

Instead of trying to run it - click on the Script button at the top after making your selections and post that here. It is probably something that SSMS is putting into the command.