OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "" returned message "Client unable to establish connection due to prelogin failure"

I unable to setup a linked server on sql server 2012. The destination server is on sql server 7.0. I can able to setup the same linked server on sql 2005 sp4 and sql 2008 r2 but unable to setup on 2012. I am getting the below error message.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "" returned message "Client unable to establish connection due to prelogin failure".

Msg 10054, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI11" for linked server "" returned message "Client unable to establish connection".

Msg 26, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Client unable to establish connection because an error was encountered during handshakes before login. Common causes include client attempting to connect to an unsupported version of SQL Server, server too busy to accept new connections or a resource limitation (memory or maximum allowed connections) on the server.

You can't set up an OLEDB linked server to SQL 2000 or below anymore. use an ODBC definition instead.

That works. Thanks a bunch.