Move Windows Cluster resources manually

Hi,

On windows server 2012 i have created 2 node cluster for sql server 2012. i have 04 disk 1-Quorum 2- MSDTC 3- Data 4-Log.

Cluster created successfully, SQL Server installation on both node done successfully.

When i restart node 1 all resources shifted to node 2. When start node 2 than all resources shift to node 1.

problem is that when i manually shift cluster resources than only quorum disk shifted to node 2 but other node does not shift. i have to manually select SQL server role to shift to node 2 same as with msdtc role.

pls guide what could be an issue that why on manually shifting cluster resource all resource are not being shifted.

thx

How are you manually moving the group - and which group are you moving? SQL Server and MSDTC should be in separate groups and not in the cluster group which is probably why you are not seeing them move.

I am guessing you are using the command line to move the actual cluster group. If so, use the command line to display all groups - from Powershell it would be: Get-ClusterGroup

i am using GUI to move cluster group (top head) how do i confirm are they SQL Server and MSDTC in cluster group or as seperate group. when i run Get-ClusterGroup get following

name owner
available storage node1
cluster group node1
MSDTC node1
SQL Server node1

pls guide what to do next.
thx

You have 4 groups...

You can use Powershell to move the groups - the command is Move-ClusterGroup and is used this way:

PS> Move-ClusterGroup -Name "SQL Server" -Node node2

Repeat for each group identified from the command Get-ClusterGroup

i can easily move from gui problem is that when i move cluster group only quorum disk move other services like sql server and msdtc still remain at node 2.

i want all resources cluster+SQL Server+msdtc should move to node 2 when i move cluster to node2. is this right behavior / cluster movement should move is this way or i have to manually move each resource to node2.

thx

Each group has to be moved separately