SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Montly total, year to date running total, full running total

sql2012

Hi!

I've been using SQL for a few months, but am completely stumped by how to create a running total. From some research I think I need an "over partition by", but I don't really understand how it works & then it's complicated by the fact I need a monthly total, a year to date running total & a full running total results on the same row.

Example format of result-set I'm looking for attached.

I got as far as below for a monthly total, but don't know how to get the Year to Date running total & Full running total on the same row. Should I be using a case when?

SELECT DISTINCT

[JOBNUMBER]
,[TASKNAME]
,MONTH([ENTRYDATE]) AS 'Month'
,YEAR([ENTRYDATE]) as 'Year'
,SUM([COSTPRICEREG]) OVER (PARTITION BY [JOBNUMBER], [[TASKNAME],MONTH([ENTRYDATE]),YEAR([ENTRYDATE]) ORDER BY YEAR([ENTRYDATE]), MONTH([ENTRYDATE])) AS Monthly Total

FROM [RambollDW].[Maconomy].[vw_JOBENTRY]

If there was no cost booked in the month, I don't need the row to appear FYI.

Also, I only want 2018 rows to display, but obviously want pre-2018 data to be taken into consideration in the "full running total" result.

Also I'm trying to create it to run as efficiently as possible as there's going to be a lot of projects & a lot of tasks..

Hope that makes sense, thank you very much for any help you can offer a newbie!

DECLARE @t table(ID int IDENTITY, i int);
 INSERT @t (i)
 VALUES
      (3)    
    , (81)    
    , (-22)
    , (5)
    , (17)
    , (62)
    , (-4)
    , (7);
SELECT
     t.i
   , Sum(t.i) OVER (ORDER BY t.ID ROWS BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW) RuningTotal
FROM @t t;

Hi Jotorre,
Thanks for getting back to me & corrected me on how to do a successful running total!
Could you give any input into how I can then use that new syntax to create a running total which is only for a monthly/year to date figure?
How would I include that element into the query?
Thanks again for any help you can give.

If you post sample data in consumable format (create table with inserts), what you've tried, and desired output, I may have time to work on it.