SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Login error


I exported a 2008 DB to a different 2008 SQL server. When I tried to access that database with the client, this error is being generated. Any ideas? All servers and clients are in the same domain but different subnets. Thanks

Log Name: Application
Date: 05/26/2015 02:16:18 pm
Event ID: 17806
Task Category: Logon
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SG-W28-ENGSQL.firm.ebglaw.com
SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x80090302, state 14 while establishing a connection with integrated security; the connection has been closed. Reason: AcceptSecurityContext failed. The Windows error code indicates the cause of failure. [CLIENT: ].
Event Xml:



AcceptSecurityContext failed. The Windows error code indicates the cause of failure.

Log Name: Application
Date: 05/26/2015 02:16:13 pm
Event ID: 18452
Task Category: Logon
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic,Audit Failure
User: N/A
Computer: SG-W28-ENGSQL.firm.ebglaw.com
Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication. [CLIENT:]
Event Xml:





Did you create the login on the new server? Instead of export, I would highly recommend backup/restore. Export does not give you an exact copy like backup/restore does.


Yes, I created the same logon account on the new SQL server. Thanks.


It appears the login is incorrect. Did you create a Windows login or a SQL login? Is the domain correct if it's a Windows login? Please verify.


Yes, I created a windows domain account. I'm able to log into the SQL server with that login account and launch SQL studio.


Please post the connection string.


As per the error message I guess you are trying to login with the domain account in different domain server.


Both servers are in the same domain. My DBA was able to help me resolve the issue. Instead of using windows authentication, we configured the application to use SQL authentication and that worked. Thanks for all the replies.


That means the login that you created was not a Windows account. So you didn't create the same login like you had said.


no the first logon I created was a Windows account. Like I said, I tested it by logging into the SQL server with it and it worked. I then created a separated SQL login to test because Windows authentication refused to work. I tried several windows account with sysadmin permssion on that SQL server and couldn't get it to work. My DBA couldn't get Windows authentication to work either so she tried the SQL account I created and that work. Only thing she did differently was run a script that updated application file to point to the new SQL server while I tried updating the configure files manually. I probably missed something there.


Might be a Kerberos issue. The DBA should ensure that the correct SPNs exist for the SQL Server and service account.


I tried that also. I created the MSSQLSvc SPNs for SQL and Service account.