I need to acces my SQL Database on an AWS cloud from my computer using C#

i wasn't sure where to put this post! I've been trying all day to connect using C# in Visual Studio, but i can't find any tutorials on how to connect to a SQL database that is NOT local. here's what I've tried so far:

static void Main()
    {
        SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection(
                                   "server=mycompany.ctf1qojvktpk.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com:3306;" +
                                   "Trusted_Connection=yes;" +
                                   "database=MyDatabase; " +
                                   "user id=MyUsername;" +
                                   "password=MyPassword;" +
                                   "connection timeout=30");
        try
        {
            myConnection.Open();
        }
        catch (Exception e)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(e.ToString());
        }
    }

I am able to connect using PHP and that's great! I can also connect with MySQL Workbench. However, I can't connect using C# and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your time!

Here's the error I am getting:
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities\14.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync\14.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime\14.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'c:\users\lauraadams97\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\WindowsFormsApplication1\WindowsFormsApplication1\bin\Debug\WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml.Linq\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.Linq.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Data.DataSetExtensions\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.CSharp\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.CSharp.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Deployment\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Deployment.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Net.Http\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Net.Http.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
The thread 0x12d0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x3d48 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'c:\users\lauraadams97\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\WindowsFormsApplication1\WindowsFormsApplication1\bin\Debug\WindowsFormsApplication1.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Transactions\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Transactions.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
Exception thrown: 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' in System.Data.dll
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 25 - Connection string is not valid) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The parameter is incorrect
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource1 retry) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at WindowsFormsApplication1.Program.Main() in c:\users\lauraadams97\documents\visual studio 20The thread 0x33c4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x3c24 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[11472] WindowsFormsApplication1.vshost.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
15\Projects\WindowsFormsApplication1\WindowsFormsApplication1\Program.cs:line 23
ClientConnectionId:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Error Number:87,State:0,Class:20

Remove userid and password if you are trying to use a trusted connection, or remove trusted connection if you want to use sql authentication (userid/password). You can't do both.

We need the error to help.

Okay I posted the error I've been getting!

Looks like you're using MySQL. This site is dedicated to Microsoft SQL Server, so you might get better answers on a MySQL forum.

That said, take a look here

No, it's SQL Server.

I see the issue, and it's simple.

OLD:
server:3306=mycompany.ctf1qojvktpk.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com

NEW:
server=mycompany.ctf1qojvktpk.us-west-2.rds.amazonaws.com,3306

This is the actual error from that huge thing you posted:
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

And that's usually a problem with the server name/port, service not started or a network issue such as firewall. For you, it's a colon vs. comma issue.

I must have misread this line:

Did the switch from colon to comma fix it?