Execute file system 2012 package

I used the import wizard in sql server 2012 management studio to load data from an excel 2013 spreadsheet into a new table in a sql server 2012 database. I saved the package to the file system since I want to be able to rerun the package and potentially change where the excel spreadsheet is obtain from when I use this code in production.

Thus I have the following questions about executing the package I saved to the file system:

1. Can you give me directions on how I can execute the package that I saved to the file system? I tried doubling clicking on the dtsx package and that did not work.

2. If I want to change any of the input and/or output locations, is this possible? If so, can you tell me how I can change the file system package? Do I need to open the package in ssis manager or in visual studio?

Open the package in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)

I opened the file in both sql server data tools (ssdt) and in sql server data tools for visual studio successfully. However there was nothing for me to click on to execute the package. Thus can you tell me what I can do to get the package to execute in either tool?

They are the same tool. try to hit f5 or ctrl-f5.

alternately, use dtexec

where should I execute dtexec from? Do I go to start menu, in the command prompt enter dtexec? I do not think I have a ssis command utitlity tool to use.

C:\>dtexec
Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility
Version 10.50.6000.34 for 32-bit
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2010. All rights reserved.

At least one of the DTS, SQL, or File options must be specified.

C:\>