Does sum override null values?

Greetings

The older I get the wiser I do not get, especially the longer I am way from sql server.

;with darkforce --so as to sample your data
as
(
select GETUTCDATE() as TimeDate, 193 as EIPCount, null as Prog1, 6 Prog2 union all
select dateadd(minute, -30, GETUTCDATE()) as TimeDate, 194 as EIPCount, 8 as Prog1, 6 Prog2 union all
select dateadd(minute, -60, GETUTCDATE()) as TimeDate, 192 as EIPCount, 8 as Prog1, 6 Prog2 union all
select dateadd(minute, -90, GETUTCDATE()) as TimeDate, 194 as EIPCount, 8 as Prog1, 6 Prog2

)
select *, (SELECT sum(v) 
            from (VALUES (Prog1), (Prog2)) AS value(v)
		  ) as ByteCount
from darkforce i

the SUM aggregator seems to brute force the null values to comply in the summation. How can I figure out that one of the columns is null which I want to discard?

Thanks

from docu

Returns the sum of all the values, or only the DISTINCT values, in the expression. SUM can be used with numeric columns only. Null values are ignored.

Did you mean that you want to get bytecount = null if one of the values is null? You could use something like this (and I would be the first one to admit that it is not the prettiest).

select *, (SELECT SUM(v) * CASE WHEN COUNT(v) <> SUM(1) THEN NULL ELSE 1 END 
		  ) as ByteCount
from darkforce i
1 Like

so I want to filter out any rows that have any of the one column in that row that is null

as you can see the 3rd row show a value of 14 when it should be null also

THanks

Maybe just add another query level in your derived query:

select *, (select case when nullcount > 0 then null else ByteCount end as bytecount
           from (SELECT sum(v) as ByteCount, sum(case when v is null then 1 else 0 end) as nullcount
		  ) as derived) as ByteCount

1 Like

Sorry @JamesK this works!! I had excluded Prog 3 :frowning:

this also works! thanks @ScottPletcher !!!