I enabled Google AdSense Ads to be displayed for certain users. Hosting these forums has a cost and I'm hoping to recover a little bit of that.
The ads are only displayed for guests and users at lower trust levels. One ad per page appears on the list of topics and at the top of a topic page.
Right now ads are enabled for Trust Level 1 and below. Getting to Trust Level 2 requires:
- visiting at least total 15 days, not sequentially
- casting at least 1 like
- receiving at least 1 like
- replying to at least 3 different topics
- entering at least 20 topics
- reading at least 100 posts
- spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
I think you could summarize this by saying show up a few times and answer some questions or contribute to discussions. And pick out a few posts to like. You can read more about the Discourse Trust Levels at: https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-do-user-trust-levels-do/4924/5.