CU 31 for 2017 Will Not Install

Hi experts,
I have 2017 Standard (14.0.2052.10 which is GDR I believe)
I tried to install CU31 but it gave message
"There are no instances or shared services that can be updated on this computer"
And where can I obtain an older CU? ALL the downloads seem to be the latest (CU31) only.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I found the old CUs for 2017 here:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=sql%20server%202017

Here's a convenient site to bookmark:

1 Like

Thanks @SqlHippo

As I understand it, the GDR patches are only security related, whereas the Cumulative Updates contain both CU updates plus the GDR patches. Is that correct?

Yes, as far as I understand it:
CUs are feature fixes/updates + security patches.
GDRs are just security patches.

EDIT: but don't rely on me. Here's the documentation explaining it:

1 Like

As far as I understand you should be able to install the CU31 in your machine. Usually your message is thrown when there's no SQL server instance running on your box, a newer CU is already installed or the current CU is already installed.

Ah, more news:
select @@VERSION shows
SQL 2017 RTM-GDR

So am I limited to only installing GDR updates?
(I want to install CU31)

Bookmark this site: Microsoft SQL Server Versions List (sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com)

For 2017 - you will find the latest CU is 14.0.3456.2. I would install that CU and then apply the latest security updates for CU 31.

Thanks @jeffw8713 But I tried that per my original post:
"I tried to install CU31 but it gave message
'There are no instances or shared services that can be updated on this computer'"/
I've tried it with the sql service started and also not started. Get the same message

At last, all is good. I had to first install a GDR, reboot, then install CU31.
Now it shows 2017 (RTM-CU31-GDR)
I dislike what Microsoft did for SQL updates starting with sql 2017. It was messy. Thanks for all of the ideas.