Could not find server in sys.servers

I am receiving the following message

Msg 7202, Level 11, State 2, Line 4
Could not find server '10.194.2.4' in sys.servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If necessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.servers.

Here is my query:

DECLARE @Site VARCHAR(50)
SET @Site = 'ZSW'

select * from
(
select distinct v.VEND_ID, v.VEND_LONG_NAME as VEND_NAME,l.Plat_Vendorkey, a.LN_1_ADR + ' '+a.LN_2_ADR as [Address], a.City_Name,
a.Mail_State_DC, a.Postal_CD

from [10.194.2.4].CP_Migration.dbo.L_CP_Plat_Vendorkey l
left join [10.194.2.4].WEBAPP_CP.DELTEK.v_VEND v
on v.VEND_ID = l.CP_Vendorkey
inner join [10.194.2.4].WEBAPP_CP.DELTEK.v_VEND_ADDR a
on a.vend_id = v.vend_id

where Plat_Vendorkey like @Site+'%' --order by vend_ID
)iq

Your help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure but a guess would be that the IP address is not accepted as it is really looking for the server name/instance.

So it would be [MyServerName\MyInstance].database.schema.object or [MyServerName].database.schema.object if a default instance.

To add to what djj55 suggested, if you connect to the default instance of SQL Server on 10.194.2.4 and run the following query you will see a list of linked servers:

SELECT * FROM sys.servers

The server name you specify in the four-part naming has to be one of the names listed in the name column. When you add a linked server, you can name it to what makes sense to you (although naming it to an IP address might not be a great idea - it might cause more confusion than clarity).

1 Like

Just in case it helps clarify the situation

AFAIK you cannot query a four-part name - i.e. ServerName.DatabaseName.SchemaName,TableName unless you have previously defined/created the Linked Server. The fact that you may have a SQL Server on 10.194.2.4 is, by itself, not enough.

We have done that (used the IP address as the Linked Server Name), but I can't now remember why (rather than using a Name) and whether it turned out to be a good idea, or not! Clearly if the Server might change IP Address in the future it would not be a good idea!

1 Like

Thanks Kristen for stating what I was trying to say in clear and concise English. (But English is not my native language, I speak American, so I have a valid excuse :grinning: ).

In my previous post I said that the sys.servers on the target server (10.194.2.4) should have an entry for 10.194.2.4. That is incorrect. What I should have said is that the sys.servers on the server FROM which you are running the query should contain the entry for the linked server (10.194.2.4).

Thanks guys! That helps.

Remember to like the posts that you find helpfull :wink: