SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Converting row data to columns with conditional data

I need to convert some rows to columns with conditions attached. I am unsure how to do this? Also, the data is coming from 2 different tables ie: the ASSET table and the ATTRIBUTES table so I need to join the tables in the script. Can anyone help please?

can you post the DDL for both the tables ?

Hi there, sorry I am not a programmer so can you explain in layman's terms what I need to give you? :-\

Can you post the what are the columns in your ASSET and ATTRIBUTES table

the column names appear at line two in the data supplied - ASSET TABLE - ASSET_NO
ATTRIBUTES TABLE: LEVEL_NBR, ATTR_CODE and ATTR_ITEM_NARR.

Which column are from which table ? in your first post you mention "the data is coming from 2 different tables"

just clarified that in my previous post. All columns come from ATTRIBUTES table except for ASSET No. which comes from the ASSET table.

and how do you join these tables ?

The result that you expected will required the use of Dynamic SQL. I need to know which table contains which columns in order to provide a query.

I have simplified the data above as there are a few tables involved because of the ASSET_NO not being in the ATTRIBUTES table. Here is my current script which includes other tables. Hope this makes sense.

select * from dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET
LEFT JOIN dbo.F1ASR_ASSET_BOOK
ON dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET.ASSNBRI=dbo.F1ASR_ASSET_BOOK.ASSNBRI
AND dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET.REG_NAME=dbo.F1ASR_ASSET_BOOK.REG_NAME
LEFT JOIN dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET_ATTR
ON dbo.F1ASR_ASSET_BOOK.ASSNBRI=dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET_ATTR.ASSNBRI
AND dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET.REG_NAME=dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET_ATTR.REG_NAME
LEFT JOIN dbo.F1ASS_ATTR_ITEM
ON dbo.F1ASS_ATTR_ITEM.ITEM_UNIQUE_ID=dbo.F1ASR_REG_ASSET_ATTR.ATTR_UNIQUE_ID

-- create table variable 
declare    @code_level table
(
    ATTR_CODE    varchar(30),
    LEVEL_NBR    int
)

-- Get All combinition of ATTR_CODE & LEVEL_NBR
insert into @code_level ( ATTR_CODE, LEVEL_NBR )
select    distinct ATTR_CODE, LEVEL_NBR
from    ATTRIBUTE

select    *
from    @code_level

declare    @sql    nvarchar(max)

select    @sql    = N'SELECT a.ASSET_NO' + char(13)

select    @sql    = @sql + ','
        + 'MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = ''' + ATTR_CODE + ''' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = ' + CONVERT ( VARCHAR(10), LEVEL_NBR ) + 'THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)' + char(13)
from    @code_level
order by ATTR_CODE, LEVEL_NBR

select    @sql    = @sql 
        + N'FROM    ASSET a '
        + N'INNER JOIN ATTRIBUTE b    on    a.ASSET_NO    = b.ASSET_NO '
        + N'GROUP BY a.ASSET_NO '

print    @sql
/* result of print
SELECT a.ASSET_NO
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'CLASSIFICATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 1THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'CLASSIFICATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 2THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'CLASSIFICATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 3THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'LOCATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 1THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'LOCATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 2THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'LOCATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 3THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'ORGANISATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 1THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
,MAX ( CASE WHEN b.ATTR_CODE = 'ORGANISATION' AND b.LEVEL_NBR = 2THEN ATTR_ITEM_NARR END)
FROM    ASSET a INNER JOIN ATTRIBUTE b    on    a.ASSET_NO    = b.ASSET_NO GROUP BY a.ASSET_NO 

*/

exec    sp_executesql @sql

Thanks so much!!!! This gave me exactly what I wanted. Much appreciated. :smiley::dizzy: