Convert /Error

Hi All
I'm trying to pull data from couple of tables using a inner join. I have to use substring to get the request id part from a varchar field and then use convert function to convert to int

Below is my query and have been getting an error

SELECT RR.Requestid,RR.Rdate,RR.EDate ,REL.Requestid,Convert(INT,substring(REL.Itext,30,6))
from report_request RR inner join request_event_log REL
on RR.Requestid = Convert(INT,substring(REL.Itext,30,6))
Where REL.EVentTypeid = 50

Error:
Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'm28324' to data type int.

The same convert works ok in the below Query

SELECT Requestid,Convert(INT,substring(Itext,30,6)) as OrigRequestid from requesteventlog where requestid = 560813
and eventtypeid =50

How should I proceed with my problematic Query?

Thanks in Advance

Well, clearly you have a least one row in the input where substring(Itext,30,6) = 'm28324' which is not an integer. What do you want to do with it?

Your second query doesn't use same filter (where statement) as the first one.

SELECT RR.Requestid,RR.Rdate,RR.EDate ,REL.Requestid,Convert(INT,substring(REL.Itext,30,6))
from report_request RR inner join request_event_log REL
on 1 = case when substring(REL.Itext,30,6) LIKE '%[^0-9]%' then 0 --not digits only, ignore
            when RR.Requestid = Convert(INT,substring(REL.Itext,30,6)) then 1
            else 0 end
Where REL.EVentTypeid = 50

or just (I don't care for CASE in joins, but that's just me)

SELECT RR.Requestid
     , RR.Rdate
     , RR.EDate
     , REL.Requestid
     , Convert(INT, substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6)) AS Itext
FROM report_request RR
INNER JOIN request_event_log REL 
        ON RR.Requestid = Convert(INT, substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6))
WHERE substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6) NOT LIKE '%[^0-9]%'
  AND REL.EVentTypeid = 50
1 Like

The problem with that method is that you can't control the order of operations, and thus SQL might do the join before it applies the WHERE. Not likely, but possible. A CASE statement is always evaluated in order, so there's no chance of a conversion error.

true, should have put it in a subquery. Then you filter out the non-numerics before you try to convert them

1 Like

Thank You for the query. It worked

If it were me I would want to add an INT column to [request_event_log] so that I could join on that. Much more efficient, performance-wise, than a CONVERT etc. and with none of the issues of "sometimes its a number, sometimes not" - only populate the column on rows where the sub-data is numeric.

A Computed column would probably do ...

+1 for the computed column. But likely the OP can't modify the table

Yes, you are probably right. Perhaps an option to create a VIEW instead. Won't help with performance (unless the O/P is allowed to index the view) but would encapsulate the logic for reuse in other places ...

Here's another way of coding Scott's query that's a little shorter (don't need the 1/0). I think it will produce the same result

SELECT RR.Requestid
    , RR.Rdate
    , RR.EDate
    , REL.Requestid
    , Convert(INT, substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6))
FROM report_request RR
INNER JOIN request_event_log REL 
  ON RR.Requestid  = CASE 
        WHEN substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6) LIKE '%[^0-9]%'
            THEN NULL
	 ELSE Convert(INT, substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6))
        END
WHERE REL.EVentTypeid = 50
1 Like

Just in case not obvious to the O/P this sort of work-around syntax is going to have bad performance compared to having the numeric part of request_event_log.Itext available in its own column (or computed column), and of the correct INT datatype.

Being able too INDEX "part" of a column would help ...

I had to make some changes to the query and performance of the query is really slow. Can I please have some help to make it faster

select RR.requestid,Rdate,RR.ctname,(select FName+''+LName from contact where Cid = rr.requestor) as requestor,
Edate,Cexpiration,(select requestid from request_event_log where eventtypeid = 50 and RR.requestid = Convert(INT, substring(Itext, 30, 6))) as draftid,
(select top(1) eventtypeid from request_event_log where requestid = (select requestid from request_event_log where eventtypeid = 50 and  Convert(INT, substring(Itext, 30, 6)) = rr.requestid) and eventtypeid in(10,15,20,50) order by Edatetime desc) as drafstatusid,
(select Count(Cid) from contact where Cid = RR.requestor and Memail is not null) as avilableincompany from report_request RR
where RR.Rfrequency = 'Recurring'
and rr.Edate between '1/1/2016' and '1/31/2016'

No idea if this code will work as no sample Table / Data provided with which to test it.

Hopefully runs faster than what you have, but whilst you have the SUBSTRING in your JOINs it will still run like a dog (compared to if you make that available in its own column / computed-column

I assume you have Indexes on the appropriate columns in the JOINs, and "covering" the ORDER BY Edatetime DESC

SELECT 	RR.requestid,Rdate,RR.ctname,
	COALESCE(C.FName+' ', '')+COALESCE(C.LName, '') as requestor,
	Edate,
	Cexpiration,
	REL.requestid as draftid,
	REL2.eventtypeid as drafstatusid,
	AC.Count
FROM	report_request AS RR
	LEFT OUTER JOIN contact AS C
		 ON Cid = RR.requestor
	LEFT OUTER JOIN request_event_log AS REL
		 ON REL.eventtypeid = 50
-- This needs the CASE workaround if any SUBSTRINGs will NOT be valid numerics
		AND Convert(INT, substring(REL.Itext, 30, 6)) = RR.requestid
	OUTER APPLY
	(
		SELECT	TOP 1	REL3.eventtypeid
		FROM	request_event_log AS REL3
		WHERE	    REL3.eventtypeid = 50	-- <<<< SORT THIS DUP OUT!!
			AND REL3.eventtypeid in(10,15,20,50)
-- This needs the CASE workaround if any SUBSTRINGs will NOT be valid numerics
			AND Convert(INT, substring(REL3.Itext, 30, 6)) = RR.requestid
		ORDER BY REL3.Edatetime DESC
	) AS REL2
	OUTER APPLY
	(
		SELECT	COUNT(Cid) AS [Count]
		FROM	contact
		WHERE	    Cid = RR.requestor 
			AND Memail IS NOT NULL
	) AS AC
where RR.Rfrequency = 'Recurring'
-- Do NOT use ambiguous "m/d/y" date strings
-- nor BETWEEN (in case the Date includes a Time)
	and RR.Edate >= '20160101'
	and RR.Edate <  '20160201'
1 Like

Just noticed that you have

eventtypeid = 50
and eventtypeid in(10,15,20,50)

that obviously needs sorting out as its only going to match "50" as it stands

Thank You Much . It is slow but lot better
Mine took 2.14 Minutes Yours in 44 seconds
Long term we would have it pull from a field in the database instead of having to convert

I would be inclined to create some indexes, with temporary names so they are easy to DROP, and see if that helps (e.g. on a Test Server). If it does I would then figure out which of the indexes was actually used / made a difference and then could request that they were formally adopted (if you have a procedure like that)

report_request : Edate, Rfrequency, requestor

request_event_log : eventtypeid, Itext, Edatetime, requestid

If you've got that lot on a test server stuff a Computed Column into [request_event_log] to store the INT value of substring(Itext, 30, 6) and use that column's name in the index instead of [Itext]