Combining the results of two Select statments

Hi All,

I have two select statements . I want to combine the results of these two select statements.
I tried UNION and I am getting this error "Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'n' to data type int".
Is there any way I can combine these two statements.
Below are the two statements:

1. SELECT Descr,FilterA,FilterB,FilterC,CreateDate from X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID WHERE Label IN ('111','222','333')
    '
  2. SELECT Label, COUNT(Label), FROM X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID WHERE CreateDate >= DATEADD(day, -7, GETDATE()) AND Label IN ('111','222','333')
    GROUP BY Label

Thank You

Union requires that all datatypes between the two selects are compatible. ALso, the number of columns must match. (They don't in your example). I suspect that FilterA is not an integer. To fix the union you could, in the second select, write

SELECT Label, CAST(COUNT(Label) as varchar(10)) , null, null, null

Hi gbritton. Thanks for the reply.

Yes as you have mentioned FilterA is not an integer.

I have made the following changes to the statements

SELECT Descr, FilterA, FilterB, FilterC, CreateDate , null, null from X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID WHERE Label IN ('111','222','333')
UNION ALL
SELECT Label, CAST(COUNT(Label ) as varchar(10)) AS N ,null,null,null,null FROM X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID WHERE CreateDate >= DATEADD(day, -7, GETDATE()) AND Label IN ('111','222','333')
GROUP BY Label

When I do this it is returning NULL for both the columns Label and N (which is the count of label)

Thank You

Something like?

SELECT Descr, FilterA AS N, FilterB, FilterC, CreateDate , null AS XYZ, null AS ZYX
from X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID 
WHERE Label IN ('111','222','333')
UNION ALL
SELECT Label, CAST(COUNT(Label ) as varchar(10)) AS N ,null,null,null,null,null 
FROM X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID 
WHERE CreateDate >= DATEADD(day, -7, GETDATE()) AND Label IN ('111','222','333')
GROUP BY Label

By-the-way please use the </> to format your code.

@ djj55

I have used the exact same query and it is returning null values for both columns Label and N

Then there are no rows satisfying the where clause.

Assuming that the WHERE clause is correctly not finding any rows? then to display Zero instead of Null change

CAST(COUNT(Label ) as varchar(10))

to

CAST(COALESCE(COUNT(Label), 0) as varchar(10))

@Kristen

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried your query but it still returns NULL for both Label and N

Please post the full query you have built so far. I have the idea that something is missing. Please enclose your query in </>

SELECT Descr, FilterA AS N, FilterB, FilterC, CreateDate , null AS XYZ, null AS ZYX
from X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID
WHERE Label IN ('111','222','333')
UNION ALL
SELECT Label, CAST(COUNT(Label ) as varchar(10)) AS N ,null,null,null,null,null
FROM X JOIN Y on Y_ID = X_ID
WHERE CreateDate >= DATEADD(day, -7, GETDATE()) AND Label IN ('111','222','333')
GROUP BY Label

This is what we mean by formatted:

SELECT Descr
      , FilterA AS N
      , FilterB
      , FilterC
      , CreateDate
      , NULL AS XYZ
      , NULL AS ZYX
FROM X
INNER JOIN Y
      ON Y_ID = X_ID
WHERE Label IN ('111', '222', '333')

UNION ALL

SELECT Label
      , CAST(COUNT(Label) AS VARCHAR(10)) AS N
      , NULL
      , NULL
      , NULL
      , NULL
      , NULL
FROM X
INNER JOIN Y
      ON Y_ID = X_ID
WHERE CreateDate > DATEADD(day, - 7, GETDATE())
      AND Label IN ('111', '222', '333')
GROUP BY Label
1 Like

If your query is returning nulls, then that's what SQL found.

Run each part of the query by itself to confirm