SQLTeam.com | Weblogs | Forums

Check Multiple rows

Hello,

I have a table which is formatted in this way -

Col1 --- Col 2 Code --- Article

However One 'code' may be repeated multiple times but with a different Article. Its always unique though so I will never had a 'Code' with the same 'article' twice.

There are some 'default' articles (around 6 defaults) that I want to insert into the table so that every 'Code' has these default 'Article'.

However some of the Codes might already have these default Articles so I wish to ignore them.

I am scratching my head at how I can do this so looking for some help if possible.

Use a NOT EXISTS clause, somthing like this:

INSERT INTO Tbl
(Code, Article)
SELECT
	Code, Article
FROM
	(SELECT DISTINCT Code FROM Tbl) AS a
	CROSS JOIN
		( VALUES
			('DefaultArticle1'),
			('DefaultArticle2'),
			('DefaultArticle3'),
			('DefaultArticle4'),
			('DefaultArticle5'),
			('DefaultArticle6')
		) da (Article)
WHERE NOT EXISTS
(
	SELECT *
	FROM
		Tbl t
	WHERE
		t.Code = a.Code
		AND t.Article = da.Article
);

Thanks, If I wanted to also insert into another column within the same table (E.g Column called QTY_2) but I always wanted the value to be '1' how could I do that?

UPDATE Tbl SET QTY_2 = 1;

It will set EVERY row in the table to have QTY_2 = 1. Before you run this command, be sure that that is what you want to do. If you want to set QTY_2 to 1 only for a subset of rows, DO NOT use this update statement.

Hi James, Really I only want to do the UPDATE to the same records that I am inserting in the query you gave above.

If you want to the value set at create time just add it to the insert, if it is an after thought, try something like:

BEGIN TRAN;
UPDATE Tbl 
SET QTY_2 = 1 
WHERE QTU_2 IS NULL;

ROLLBACK TRAN;
--COMMIT TRAN;

Thanks guys for the help.