All my databases get the this cell has changed. the change has not been committed to the database error

Hi,
I am very new to SQL and I am running
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 17.9 I must have did something because on every table I get the
same error all my databases get the this cell has changed. the change has not been committed to the database error. I created a new DB and a new table but get the same error.
can someone help........

thanks
Mike

What exactly are you doing? Where is it happening?

1 Like

I created a db added tables over the past 12 months I have been filling the tables with data (over 1,000,000 records) I added another DB and tables doing some testing then all of a sudden I got that error.

There are quite a few known issues with the table editor in SSMS. Most people will not utilize it because of the issues that can occur - and instead utilize insert/update/delete statements in SQL.

One of the most prevalent issues is that the GUI cannot update a table if that table does not have a primary key or unique key defined. Without being able to determine what column(s) uniquely identify the row - the GUI cannot determine how to update the row.

For example - you have the column FBA-ID - and you can see that these are different values, but the GUI does not know that...the SQL to update that row would be:

UPDATE dbo.[FBA Items]
SET [UPC / Core SKU] = '2222'
WHERE FBA-ID = 'rr';

But - since that column is not defined as a PK or UK then SQL Server does not know how to build the WHERE clause to update that row.

If you had 2 (or more) rows where FBA-ID is equal to 'rr' - which row in the GUI is being updated?

1 Like

Check the Triggers