I wanted to express my thanks very publicly.
Thanks to your private coaching, I was able to get back to the October 17 version of my database. You're a lifesaver!!
Only 2 obvious issues:
1.) Not certain mail "attachment" made the journey back. Presumably, they are linked elsewhere? or I have to enable some switch?
2.) I would like to be able to able to recover everything (mail, events, new records) that occurred since 10/17/18 until the current date. I believe there's a relatively "simple" way to do it but, I can't 'figger it.
Any additional free advice appreciated.
PS: Yes, I immediately backed up my data files and over this weekend I'll try to implement procedures I should have had in place for the last 3 years.
I think so. (I have to spend some more time verifying)
1.) That is, it "appears" that links to attached items (ie e-mail attachment) did not show up in the restored 10/17 database. Not a bid deal really - the attached items are in a totally different folder....Presumably, the links that "connect" to said attachments are missing (or, maybe, they are in a separate folder within SQL??)
2.) I THOUGHT I read somewhere that I could identify records "touched in any manner" since 10/17 and bring them over to the updated version of 10/17 DB that I intend to continue using.
BTW: Finding a solution to #1 or #2 is NOT mission critical. I could manually reconstruct anything needed between 10/17 and today (11/21).
Check crm configuration/manual/help to see where default email attachments are stored. It could be saving them to sql or local folder on c drive? but I would assume depends on configuration of CRM. Or maybe crm has paid support?
Is this a online saas service or installed locally, I assume local install
Well - this is not really the case and becomes a bit more difficult but would be doable if you know and understand the tables and relationships within the database.
To get that data back - you would have to have a copy (backup) of the database after those values were added. If this data existed in the database after the merge/purge process - and you have a valid backup of that database that can be restored as a different name - then maybe you could find the information in the tables and reconstruct it...
Probably would be less time and effort to reconstruct the data from whatever other sources you have at this point - considering that most likely the data that you are looking for was purged.
SQL does not have folders - it has tables. There is probably a table that points to the location of the attachments. In most systems there is a table that identifies the location - and a separate table that identifies the attachment file name. If the location is defined as C:\EmailAttachments in the table and the actual location is D:\Attachments then the CRM would never find the files.
That is most likely configurable within the application - and you should be able to change it in the settings to identify where the system should look for the attachments. Update that to the correct new location and the system should then be able to find them.
Yosiaz and Jeff
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
As mentioned, the links to (past) e-mail attachments is not mission critical, so, I'm not going to worry about retrieving them. BTW: the attachment feature(?) seems to be working properly on e-mails received since I got this fixed yesterday.
It seems most important, however, that I implement a fail-safe daily back-up procedure; I'd hate to go through this nightmare again. I think I've got one working correctly on my local disk but need to determine if I-Drive is going to work for me in the future (It was NOT handling the SQL files properly - My ignorance.)
BTW: Thanksgiving holidays here in the States - I'm thankful for folks like y'all in this (and other) on-line communities. Stay well, Jim Gunther
I think you can still recover post 10/17 data. Install SQL Express latest on another machine, and restore to that other machine. (there probably is a simpler way on same machine that has your main SQL Server) and start comparing data.
If you can, post the database structure of the db that has the missing data.