Intermittent connections from SSMS to any of my SQL servers

Yes, sqlcmd is looping away happily, while SSMS is stuck or waiting

OK -- so can you try VS or LINQPad or some other program? It's beginning to look like your problem is SSMS.

It also happens with an internal custom app that connects to SQL.

If I execute the app in VS2008 (which has to run as Administrator) it works.

If I try to run installed app it just sits there like SSMS. If I run that app as Administrator, it works fine.

And after about 15 mins, SSMS finally connected. This is SO weird.

Weird is a good word for it!

Can you run Profiler and try to see the differences in how SSMS connections work vs SQLCMD?

1 Like

I tried it again with the profiler running...

In Non-Admin mode, it still waits about 14 minutes, then connects. The profiler shows nothing about that connection until it actually happens.

In Admin mode, it connects immediately. The profile shows it connecting immediately.

On a side note, the profile us showing the Report Server logging on about every 10 seconds or so, then logging right off.

too weird! though it makes sense that profiler has nothing to report until a connection is made. What happens if, after the initial connection has been made, you try to connect again, in a second SSMS session? Another 14 min?

Do you have anything like wireshark, so you can see the tcp traffic? There must be a difference in how SQLCMD sends the connection request vs ssms

Once I have established the initial connection, I can disconnect and reconnect to that server or any other.

I don't have anything like wireshark, but I will look into it.

Thanks

I have captured packets from both running as a std user and as an admin. I actually waited the 14 or so minutes for it to actually connect as the std user.

So now, what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks

You'd be looking for differences in the connection requests to help explain the delay