How do I load a .txt file into SQL server

Looks like I spoke too soon. there are supposed to be 310m lines. It errored out at 911k

read the error message very carefully. What does it say? submissioncontrolid. what data type and length is submissioncontrolid

SUBMISSIONCONTROLID Integer 8

Ah... hold the phone here... what do you mean that you "did see something about BCP"??? That implies that someone has some documentation on this process about this specific file. Since the file is almost a terabyte in size (923GB), I strongly recommend that you persue that avenue and even have someone from HR call the person if you can't findn any more information about it.

Also, if the file is using the "*" as a delimiter, there's a pretty good chance that it's actually and "EDI" file, which is a whole nuther nest of bees to be reconned with. You really need to get some help on this one and that former employee is going to be the key to it if you want something done quickly in the short term,.

1 Like

To access the Import Flat File Wizard, follow these steps:

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio .
  2. Connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine or localhost.
  3. Expand Databases , right-click a database (test in the example below), point to Tasks , and click Import Flat File above Import Data.