Can an HTML Email Be saved as a File?

You really need to talk to your licensing representative to be sure - but SSRS does need to be licensed for every server where it is installed.

There are 2 components to SSRS - the databases and the reporting services. Those can be installed on separate systems or a single system. If on separate systems, then each system needs to be licensed.

You would not be able to install the Enterprise Edition on the same server as Standard Edition - without upgrading the licenses to Enterprise. I would not recommend putting either SSIS or SSRS on the same instance/server as your production applications. You would not want someone running a report to cause performance issues that impact your customers.

1 Like

Thanks @jeffw8713 Just to clarify one more point before we wrap this thread....

If I install RS on my existing SQL Server, I must buy a license for Reporting Services in addition to the SQL Server license which I already have, correct?

If you install all SSRS components on a system that is already licensed with per processor licensing - then no, you don't have to purchase additional licenses.

Again - please verify with your Microsoft license representative to make sure.

One more thing: your current production is licensed for Standard Edition - if you install on that system then you cannot install the Enterprise Edition - and without Enterprise Edition you will not have data-driven subscriptions. For that situation, you will need to purchase licensing for SSRS - and my recommendation is to build an all-in-one SSRS system separate from your production environment.

1 Like

Thanks again, @jeffw8713. We have decided to give up the data-driven subscription usage due to the cost. I plan to request a new server to host SSRS and a database that I will refresh thruout the day. (Sorry but AlwaysOn is above our skillset). Or would it be OK to have SSRS hit the primary prod database?

You can have SSRS use a primary/writable copy of the database. Suggest you create a reporting login that only has read-only permissions to all the databases it will access. Like, make sure it's in the db_denydatawriter role in those databases.

1 Like

Thanks @robert_volk. Good idea on the denydatawriter role.
As SSRS can use lots of resources, would you advise installing SSRS on a different server than where the primary database resides? That seems to be the consensus in this discussion thread. Any big advantage to installing SSRS on the same server as the primary database?

EXEC master.dbo.sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1
RECONFIGURE
EXEC master.dbo.sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell', 1
RECONFIGURE

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS ##TempTable

SELECT A.Results
INTO ##TempTable
FROM
(  YOUR SELECT query  )   AS Results
) A

EXEC xp_cmdshell 'bcp "SELECT Results FROM ##TempTable" queryout "D:\QueryOut.txt" -T -c -t,'
1 Like

I've only ever hosted SSRS on a read-only AG secondary, and never had issues with resource usage. I don't think it ever exceeded 15% CPU or 40% memory usage. We did have a lot of subscriptions running daily, one report had 700 subs.

In any case, you need to monitor carefully. You also want to run the SSRS service under a separate Windows account so that you can cleanly identify it in performance monitor etc.

1 Like

Excellent idea.