Use microsoft updates

OK so it's not important, so all it does it gives you a list of updates to run like patches if there are any which I can get online anyway true?
the other question if I wanna add another instance will it ask me again and does it matter if I say no again

Your assistance is greatly appreciated thanks ahmad

It should ask you again - and no, it won't matter if you say no again. I always bypass that option - and perform the service pack and CU updates on my own.

OK thanks Ahmad, I'm doing a 2014 install and migrating dbs from 2008 do I need to run any updates or just ignore em for now and later apply cpu patches

Just wanted to know whether I have to run any updates after the install.
This use Microsoft updates just helps you find the latest SQL server updates and doesn't install anything for u, which is the same as getting list from the website.
As for the updates do we have to run them straight After the install or not necessarly

I would apply ALL Service Packs / Patches to any new install, before migrating any databases, so that any subsequent testing and operational use are all made with the latest patches.

See also this thread: Upgrading to SQL2012 / SQL2014

I'm just asking about use Microsoft update step in the install whether it does anything apart from just listing the updates if there's any

Seems like an unnecessary complication to me, I would want to make sure I had forced all MS SQL Service Packs and Patches at that point, and to do it in a time frame that suited my install process

But maybe Microsoft Update does a better job than i am giving it credit for ...

None of the migration documents or install says to apply patches after install, patches can be applied anytime on the database and they're not compulsary

All the mssql installation documents just mention the install steps, and my question earlier was about the use Microsoft update step, what it does, does it only list Nd only one guy Ahmad answered the question and said it only lists,

All that is true, but naive.

If there is a significant fix, and you don't apply it at the time of install, any testing / migration of databases you do will not have the benefit of the patch.

I can't understand why you would want to make an install WITHOUT the latest fixes and patches, you are leaving yourself wide open to bugs and security risks which have already been fixed in later patches

I think in reality that recent versions of SQL Server automatically apply all the latest patches at the time of INSTALL, but I'm not 100% sure of that and it does of course depend on internet connection being available and so on - so even if "included by default" its definitely not guaranteed and therefore worth double-checking.

If you don't want to install bug fixes at install time, before you start migrating your databases and using the system for critical work, that's up to you.

OK thanks for your opinion, but like I said all the install documents nonr of them mention applying service packs at the time of the iinstall and I think the 2014 SQL version already includes the latest patches in it.I was asking earlier first does the use Microsoft update install the patches or just list em. And secondly does 2014 software already include the patches

Can someone please provide feedback over what the Microsoft update I'm the install step Is and whether it does an install if the updates or it just lists the updates available

Is it possible to rerun the installation wizard just for the microsoft SQL server updates

Can somebody please confirm whether this step is needed, cos it's very confusing, cos it looks like it talks about the Microsoft windows update but you're saying it needs to be rub for SQL server updates

When you download the SQL,you have the option to download along with the SP.
For example:SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition SP3.
Service packs can also be applied later.
If you have downloaded SQL Server 2012 SP2,you can later download the SP3 and apply it.

Microsoft update does not download the SQL Server service packs.

OK thanks Ahmed, so it's basically to remind you of updates and it will just keep bothering us.
I guess I'll leave it.
At this stage you think once it says installation is successfully then my installation is complete, and if there are any new sp I can download them and install them later no need to do it right now?

Exactly

Yes. But IMHO you would be much better advised to install all the latest service packs immediately (i.e. "before any user-databases are created on the new SQL installation) and not wait for "later", otherwise you are leaving yourself wide open to any bugs / security issues that have since been fixed etc.

Perhaps what I am not understanding is why you would even want to consider postponing applying service packs after initial installation?

There may be requirements from the vendor to be on a specific service pack or CU version. You may be migrating from old hardware to new hardware - and want to insure the same level is maintained.

There are plenty of reasons to want to hold off on applying the latest service packs - but I agree that if you are building a new system then you should be installing the latest available updates.

Okay - now a clarification on my earlier response:

If you bypass the option to include the updates - nothing bad will happen. You just have to download and install those separately. However, if you include those then the installation performs a 'slipstream' installation and applies the service packs and CU updates at that time.

This option can save an incredible amount of space on your server/desktops - as each update that is applied later will be placed in the package cache and other installer locations.

Now - if you let SQL Server do this then it will download the service packs from Microsoft which will increase the installation time. However you can download the files yourself - and then launch the install to include those downloaded files - see this article for further details: http://www.sqlshack.com/slipstreaming-sql-server-2012-2014/