How to allow SQL 2012 to start up faster?

Hello everyone. I work for a company that was using SQL Server 2008 R2 with Tools (express). We are moving to SQL Server 2012 with Tools (express) due to the end of life of support and patches for 2008 R2.

with 2008 R2, our POS offering would startup and boot very fast after windows re-started. This is one of the selling points of our system, if a customer needs to reboot the system, Windows and our POS restart in 20 seconds or less. BUT now with SQL 2012, we are having to place a start up delay for the POS, which takes an extra 15 seconds or more.

My ultimate question is: How can I get 2012 to start up faster, as soon as Windows boots? As fast as 2088 R2, at least.

Google is no help and I dont want to trial and error this. I figured I would ask the experts.

Thank you all, as always.

Chef

Unfortunately this is the type of thing that needs guidance from Microsoft. Open a support case with them, and they'll help you out.

Thank you for the response.

On your new systems, did you remember to enable instant file initialization? Also, take a look at the Transaction log files. Are they bloated? Did you remember to change the initial size to something reasonably large so they don't have to grow so much? Did you remember to change the growth from percent to a fixed amount? How are the new machines setup? Did you remember to set the NICs for FULL DUPLEX and, possibly, turn AUTO NEGOTIATE off? Did you setup Temp DB with a reasonable size and growth pattern in MB? Do any of your current transaction log files have too many VLFs? Did you change the compatibility level of your databases to the correct version? Do you have the latest service packs and CUs installed, which are uber important to all things 2012.

There are a lot of reasons for slow startups and not just because you changed to a new version of SQL Server. Go back and make sure that all your i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.

Great checklist Jeff ... I nominate it for you to Blog, and maintain as things evolve :slight_smile:

That said, maybe Tara / Brent have this covered?

Recommend the O/P tries Brent Ozar's sp_Blitz - that might well find some "loose" settings that need tightening up.

Hi Jeff, thank you for the response. This is a fresh install of SQL Server 2012 with our POS offering. So nothing would be bloated...but I will look at every question you presented.

Thanks again.
Chris

Heh... thanks Kristen but that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and maintaining such a list could become a full tine job, so I'll have to pass on that. :wink:

For things having to do with the server itself, I agree that Brent's sp_Blitz fills quite the gap.