Error while connecting to linked server

===================================

The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExecutionManager.ExecuteNonQuery(String cmd)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.LinkedServer.TestConnection()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.LinkedServerProperties.DoPreProcessExecution(RunType runType, ExecutionMode& executionResult)

Registry information is corrupt or missing. Make sure the provider installed and registered correctly.
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "XYZ-PC" returned message "A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.".
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "XYZ-PC" returned message "Client unable to establish connection". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&ProdVer=10.50.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=27&LinkId=20476

Server Name: DYN-SRV-001
Error Number: 27
Severity: 16
State: 1

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ConnectionManager.ExecuteTSql(ExecuteTSqlAction action, Object execObject, DataSet fillDataSet, Boolean catchException)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Common.ServerConnection.ExecuteNonQuery(String sqlCommand, ExecutionTypes executionType)

Registry information is corrupt or missing.
Make sure the provider installed and registered correctly.

** did you do this ? **

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "XYZ-PC" returned message "A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible.

** can you ping the server from the command line? **

Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

** did you check **

I'm figuring the first is a Server and then second is a PC / Workstation?

If so I think the most likely issue is with the PC accepting the requests (i.e. this part of the error message "Client unable to establish connection" and "error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server [i.e. XYZ-PC]" and "Server [i.e. XYZ-PC] is not found or not accessible")