Case Statment

while I appreciate your response I do not appreciate how rude it was. That was not necessary to use the terms crap or very very confused.

Yes, it was. Otherwise, self-entitled noobs will not hear you today. Crap was the mild, socially acceptable term from Dilbert. And anyone who asks bad questions on the wrong forum (not just bad questions on the right forum!) is confused.

I am really surprised at the length of rudeness and I hope you don't treat your co workers this way as if you are the guru of programming.

Get over yourself. This is the Internet, not some liberal college campus with safe speech zones, micro aggregations, and all that crap. And you are not a co-worker; you are asking for help as a student. I have actually had the job title “guru” with a company :slight_smile: But there is no “as if” in me – did you Google me? Wikipedia me? I feel I have credentials and the documentation to support the opinion that I now more than you do.

I am sure you forget that at some point in time you did not know all the answers and I am sure you still don't know all the answers so before you comment on another person's question

I wrote the answers for software engineering (Google my work in the trade press in the early days of the Structured Programming revolution) and for SQL programming (10 years on ANSI X3H2, book series, 1200+ articles, etc)). But I also expect the person asking a question to follow forum rules.

Think about how you were when you first started programming. and climb back down off that pedestal because I am sure that someone will knock you off of it at some point in time. <<
Yes, I made huge conceptual errors back in the 1960's. But I never did a “boo-hoo, you hurt my feelings!” rant like you. I loved it when I got a correction from a competent person-- the stronger and more detailed, the better. This I how adults and professionals handle their lives and careers.

Ever hear the name “Edsger W. Dijkstra” in school? Google it. He taught here at UT in Austin. His students were told over and over, “YOU ARE DOING IT COMPLETELY WRONG!!” I had the window when I moved to Austin to get a class under him and did not. I will regret that until my dying day.

I will not be posting again in this forum you have secured that decision with your ignorance. ]

My ignorance? Who posted what? Sorry you are determined not to learn. Oh, would you ask your boss to fire you with a bad reference in exchange for a week of me fixing your code? I have done this twice before, but in fairness, I knew the bosses and they were going to get rid of the employee anyway. They knew the incompetents were presenting NewGroup solutions as their own work.

Moderators, please. How long do we have to tolerate his rude behaviour?

2 Likes

Good Morning,
I hope you were not referring to me and if so and I was rude it was not meant towards you or anyone else in this forum. Joe Celko was the one that was so rude to me and he continued. I appreciate all your help but this definately was not me. This is what Joe Celko send to me this morning along with excerpts from my initial response to him.
I have always enjoyed this forum but I was really shocked at the way he handled my initial question. Please see below and if there is an administrator please point me in his direction so that I may complain. We are all learning in my opinion.

Me: while I appreciate your response I do not appreciate how rude it was. That was not necessary to use the terms crap or very very confused.

Joe:Yes, it was. Otherwise, self-entitled noobs will not hear you today. Crap was the mild, socially acceptable term from Dilbert. And anyone who asks bad questions on the wrong forum (not just bad questions on the right forum!) is confused.

Me: I am really surprised at the length of rudeness and I hope you don't treat your co workers this way as if you are the guru of programming.

Joe: Get over yourself. This is the Internet, not some liberal college campus with safe speech zones, micro aggregations, and all that crap. And you are not a co-worker; you are asking for help as a student. I have actually had the job title “guru” with a company :slightly_smiling: But there is no “as if” in me – did you Google me? Wikipedia me? I feel I have credentials and the documentation to support the opinion that I now more than you do.

Me: I am sure you forget that at some point in time you did not know all the answers and I am sure you still don't know all the answers so before you comment on another person's question

Joe: I wrote the answers for software engineering (Google my work in the trade press in the early days of the Structured Programming revolution) and for SQL programming (10 years on ANSI X3H2, book series, 1200+ articles, etc)). But I also expect the person asking a question to follow forum rules.

Me: Think about how you were when you first started programming. and climb back down off that pedestal because I am sure that someone will knock you off of it at some point in time. <<

Joe: Yes, I made huge conceptual errors back in the 1960's. But I never did a “boo-hoo, you hurt my feelings!” rant like you. I loved it when I got a correction from a competent person-- the stronger and more detailed, the better. This I how adults and professionals handle their lives and careers.

Ever hear the name “Edsger W. Dijkstra” in school? Google it. He taught here at UT in Austin. His students were told over and over, “YOU ARE DOING IT COMPLETELY WRONG!!” I had the window when I moved to Austin to get a class under him and did not. I will regret that until my dying day.

Me:I will not be posting again in this forum you have secured that decision with your ignorance. ]

Joe:My ignorance? Who posted what? Sorry you are determined not to learn. Oh, would you ask your boss to fire you with a bad reference in exchange for a week of me fixing your code? I have done this twice before, but in fairness, I knew the bosses and they were going to get rid of the employee anyway. They knew the incompetents were presenting NewGroup solutions as their own work.

2 Likes

@maggie_patterson JCelko has been banned for 4,000 days ... I reckon the duration is a side effect of some SQL statement, which seems entirely appropriate ...

1 Like

Thank you so much Kristen. I code in both sql and oracle depending on the day and I was really shocked at how rude this guy is. I'm like really, then he sent me another response this morning. He even pulled excerpts from my response to him to continue his attacks. I think I am sending this to the Admin for this site. I am not seasoned and that is my reason for reaching out to the forum.

Maggie:while I appreciate your response I do not appreciate how rude it was. That was not necessary to use the terms crap or very very confused.

Celko:Yes, it was. Otherwise, self-entitled noobs will not hear you today. Crap was the mild, socially acceptable term from Dilbert. And anyone who asks bad questions on the wrong forum (not just bad questions on the right forum!) is confused.

Maggie:I am really surprised at the length of rudeness and I hope you don't treat your co workers this way as if you are the guru of programming.

Celko:Get over yourself. This is the Internet, not some liberal college campus with safe speech zones, micro aggregations, and all that crap. And you are not a co-worker; you are asking for help as a student. I have actually had the job title “guru” with a company But there is no “as if” in me – did you Google me? Wikipedia me? I feel I have credentials and the documentation to support the opinion that I now more than you do.

Maggie:I am sure you forget that at some point in time you did not know all the answers and I am sure you still don't know all the answers so before you comment on another person's question

Celko:I wrote the answers for software engineering (Google my work in the trade press in the early days of the Structured Programming revolution) and for SQL programming (10 years on ANSI X3H2, book series, 1200+ articles, etc)). But I also expect the person asking a question to follow forum rules.

Maggie:Think about how you were when you first started programming. and climb back down off that pedestal because I am sure that someone will knock you off of it at some point in time. <<

Celko:Yes, I made huge conceptual errors back in the 1960's. But I never did a “boo-hoo, you hurt my feelings!” rant like you. I loved it when I got a correction from a competent person-- the stronger and more detailed, the better. This I how adults and professionals handle their lives and careers.

Maggie:I will not be posting again in this forum you have secured that decision with your ignorance. ]

Celko:My ignorance? Who posted what? Sorry you are determined not to learn. Oh, would you ask your boss to fire you with a bad reference in exchange for a week of me fixing your code? I have done this twice before, but in fairness, I knew the bosses and they were going to get rid of the employee anyway. They knew the incompetents were presenting NewGroup solutions as their own work.

thanks for another comment from Kristen I realized you were speaking about Celko. Is there a place to report his behavior? I am just floored at the level of rudeness he sunk to.

I believe that Admin are already aware, but you can press the FLAG icon under a post to "report" it.

Take your own advice. You'll sell more books that way. :wink: